You are here:   StartWestern MazuriaHistoric monuments – historical and cultural heritage
Western Masuria is full of historical traces from the past. The most common amongst them are ancient properties: manors, palaces, castles and religious buildings (Protestant and Catholic churches, chapels, belfries and cemeteries). Many of them are still waiting to be restored, still there are numerous sites which already have been renovated. Quite often, you might also see less visible contemporary witnesses. They are hidden underground (hill forts and cairns).
When visiting Western Masuria, you should not miss the following sites:

In Ostróda:
  • 14th century gothic castle by the river Drwęca, one of the places on the Route of Polish Gothic Castles
  • 19th century neo-Gothic church (1856-1875),
  • 19th century barracks on Czarneckiego Street,
  • 19th century building, today secondary school,
  • 14th century church (it was rebuilt in the 19th century),
  • Protestant church built in 1907,
  • Historical cemetery „Polska Górka” (Polish Hill) with Jewish gravestones and a neoclassical gateway (it is the burial place of pastor Gustaw Gizewiusz, an advocate of Polishness in Masuria),
  • Bismarck Tower built in 1902, near the Park Hotel
  • Water tower;
In Ostróda community:
  • Villa, summer gateway of the Prussian entrepreneur Anders, surrounded by forests, on the shores of lake Szeląg Mały in Stare Jabłonki. Currently, „Anders” Hotel,
  • Classical manor in Bałcyny, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century. Today, owned by the Warmińsko Mazurski University of Olsztyn,
  • Palace and park in Grabin, built in 1879,
  • Classical manor in Grabinek, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century. Currently, family run children’s home,
  • Palace in Klonowo, built in 1873. Currently, agrotouristic pension,
  • Manor in Kraplewo, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century. Currently, pension,
  • Manor in Lichtajny, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century,
  • Classical manor in Lubajny, built in the 19th century,
  • Manor and park in Pancerzyn, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century,
  • Manor in Ryn, built on the threshold to the 20th century,
  • Manor and landscape preserving park in Szyldak, built in 1910,
  • Manor in Wyżnice, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century,
  • Protestant church in Glaznoty; historical wall and belfry,
  • Protestant church in Kraplewo; belfry and cemetery,
In the city and in the community of Morąg:
  • 15th century Gothic church with mural paintings in the presbytery, baroque altars and an antique organ,
  • Palace of the Dohna dynasty (baroque) built in 1562-1571; rebuilt by Hindersin in 1717-1719. Currently, Johann Gottfried Herder Museum and branch of the Museum of Warmia and Masuria. It might be interesting to visit its exhibition of 17th century Dutch paintings, to see the exhibits of applied arts (from baroque to Art Nouveau) , epitaphs and portraits of notabilities related to the cities of Morąg/ Mohrungen,
  • 14th century Gothic town hall in Morąg, restored in 1843, rebuilt in 1948-1953,
  • French Cannons captured by the German army in 1870 (in front of the town hall),
  • Northeastern wing of the 15th century Gothic Teutonic castle; rebuilt in 1584; restored in 1815. 14th century Gothic dungeon underneath the former wings, Gothic defensive walls, 14th century moat.
  • Manor and park in Wenecja, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century, featuring a forge and a chapel,
  • Classical manor in Bożęcin, built in 1845,
  • Church and belfry in Słonecznik,
  • Palace and park in Ponary, built on the verge of the 18th century,
  • St. Barbara church in Boguchwały,
In the community of Dąbrówno:
  • Town houses in Dąbrówno,
  • 18th century water tower in Dąbrówno,
  • 14th century free-standing belfry in Dąbrówno (once part of the town’s defensive walls),
  • School building in Dąbrówno,
  • Railway station in Dąbrówno, built in 1910,
  • 14th century Gothic church (former Methodist church) in Dąbrówno, medieval belfry, polychrome ceiling,
  • Neo-Gothic Catholic church, built in 1865,
  • Remains of the city wall,
  • The churches of Gardyny, Leszcz and Marwałd,
  • Manor in Jankowice, built on the threshold to the 20th century,
  • Manor in Leszcz, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century,
  • Manor in Samin, built in 1890,
In the community of Grunwald:
  • Archaeological site in Dylewo (ruined property, former 19th century palace and park),
  • Manor in Gierzwałd, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century, Currently, cultural centre,
  • Country house and park in Grunwald, built by the end of the 19th century,
  • Ruines of a manor in Kiersztanowo,
  • Manor in Kitnowo; ground floor built in the 19th century, first floor and top floor built in the 20th century
  • Palace and park in Pacółtowo, rebuilt in the 19th century from a 18th century manor,
  • 20th century palace and park in Rychnowo. Currently part of a convent,
  • Manor in Stębark, built on the threshold to the 20th century,
  • Palace and park in Tymawa, built in 1891,
  • 17th century church in Stębark,
  • 18th century church in Dylewo,
  • Protestant cemetery in Dylewo,
  • Methodist church in Gierzwałd,
  • Monument and remains of the after-battle chapel in Grunwald,
  • Protestant church in Pacółtowo,
  • 17th century church and belfry in Rychnowo,
In the community of Łukta:
  • 19th century churches in Łukta and in Floczaki,
  • Mill in Mostkowo,
In the community of Małdyty:
  • Church and belfry in Jarnołtowo,
  • Manor „Sople” in Sople, former 19th century country house. Georg Jacob Steenke, the designer of the Elbląg Canal, used to live here during the construction work of the canal. Currently, pension.
  • Manor in Klonowy Dwór, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century,
  • Palace and park in Budwity, built in 1857,
  • 20th century palace and park in Szymonowo. Currently, orphanage
  • 18th century palace of the Domhard Family in Dobrocin (is currently being restored),
  • Manor in Zajezierze, built on the threshold to the 20th century,
  • 19th century palace in Plękity. Currently, stud,
  • 19th century administration building in Małdyty. Formerly, part of a vast property, currently, inn,
  • Manor in Drynki, built in 1870,
  • Churches in Sambród, Szymonowo, Wilamowo und Zajezierze, built on the threshold to the 20th century,
In the city and in the community of Miłakowo:
  • Former Gothic church which has lost its typical characteristics due to numerous destructions,
  • Neo-Gothic church in Miłakowo, built in 1860-69,
  • Manor in Warkały, built on the threshold to the built on the threshold to the 20th century,
  • Ruins of a manor in Warny, built in the twenties of the 20th century,
  • 20th century manor in Miejski Dwór,
  • 17th century manor in Rożnowo; restored in the 19th century,
  • Manor in Stolno, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century,
  • Manor in Głodówko, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century,
  • Manor in Książnik, built in the 2nd half of the 18th century,
  • Church and park in Boguchwały,
  • 19th century classical manor in Boguchwały,
  • 18th century “Ponary Palace” – former palace and park, standing on the picturesque shores of lake Narie. Former property of the Groeben dynasty. Standing 12 km away from Morąg, this baroque building is a restored manor. Currently, private property,
  • „Bieniasze Manor” – surrounded by forests and meadows, this estate is situated about 8 km away from Miłakowo. A reconstruction of the former 18th century country house has led to the current shape of this today’s pension.
  • „Wojciechy Palace”. Standing aside, yet not far from Bieniasze village and on the shores of Pasłęka river. Restored former country house of Andreas Stuhrmann. Currently, pension.
In the city and in the community of Miłomłyn:
  • Miłomłyn – church built in 1898-1901, 14th century belfry,
  • Gothic belfry – formerly part of a 14th century church. Currently, standing by a church built in 1898-1901;
  • Belfry in Boguszewo,
  • Neo-Gothic castle in Karnity, formerly part of a vast estate comprising five other properties. Currently, „Zamek Karnity Hotel”,
  • Manor in Malinnik, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century,
In the city and in the community of Pasłęk, district of Elbląg:
  • Manor and park in Drulity, built on the threshold of the 19th century, however, reconstructed in the 20th century (neo-baroque). 16 km away from Pasłęk, close to one of the ramps of the Elbląg Canal in Buczyniec. Currently, private property,
  • Country house and stud in Rzeczna – 18th century palace featuring barns and storehouses. Currently, also offering guestrooms,

Reklama

Get Adobe Flash player
Get Adobe Flash player
Get Adobe Flash player
Get Adobe Flash player

Gallery Area

  • Iława
  • Ostróda
  • Kanał Elbląski
  • Regaty na jez. Drwęckim w Ostródzie
najlepsze-centrum-it-2014
klaster turystyczny mazury zachodnie

Ta strona używa plików cookies (ciasteczek) w celach statystycznych. Dowiedz się więcej o ich używaniu i możliwości zmiany ustawień w przeglądarce - zobacz.

Zamknij,

EU Cookie Directive Module Information